Doctoral students in any discipline and in the advanced stages of dissertation writing are eligible to apply to summer intensive dissertation-writing workshops, to be held at the Berlin, London, Paris and Washington DC institutes in the summer of 2016. Each site will be able to host an average of six doctoral students for a period of six weeks. It is possible that one of these workshops will be discipline-specific. If so, applicants will be notified when it is decided. In the meantime, students from all fields and disciplines are welcome to apply to all workshops. The workshops will be held from Monday, June 13 to Friday, July 22, 2016.
- Please note that no applications will be considered before January 2016, and we recommend that you only submit an application once you have completed at least 2 chapters.
Participants in the summer dissertation program will have their travel and their housing provided. A flat rate per diem subsidy will also be provided to defray other costs. On-site, participants will have shared office space and will enjoy modest administrative support during the course of the summer program. Participants in the dissertation workshops will be required to be in full-time residence (without the interruption of family or friends), and to commit to work intensively and exclusively on the writing of their dissertations over the course of the program. A faculty advisor will be on-site to provide general advice (and moral support).
Students are expected to be in the final write-up stages and thus not need any topic-specific research support. Applicants should have several chapters already complete when applying for the program.
THE FINAL DEADLINE HAS NOW BEEN EXTENDED THROUGH FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2016. Applicants will be notified by the end of February.
TO APPLY TO A SUMMER DISSERTATION WRITING PROGRAM:
- This program is intended for students who aim to file their dissertations no later than the end of the fall semester following the summer dissertation session attended.
- The dates provided are those of the program itself. Participants must check into the residence on the Saturday before the program begins (but no earlier).
- Participants must attend for the entire duration of the program, and be in residence at the Institute during the week. It will not be possible for participants to travel during weekdays.
- Students who have spent the prior semester in residence are normally ineligible for the program.
- Former fellows may apply but priority will be given to first-time applicants.
- Students are ineligible for any future GRI fellowships after attending a summer dissertation workshop.
- Housing is intended for workshop participants only.